Thursday 28 November 2013

Day 29 - Okonomiyaki restaurant!

Hey everyone!

It's another short-ish post again today, but the next one will be longer and more exciting! Promise!

Be prepared! Its another food post!

On October 10th I decided to try something interesting for lunch.
We bought and ate in the WIC lounge in Waseda as usual.


I saw this Cup Noodle and thought it sounded interesting. The flavour was Mila Doria. "What is Mila Doria?" I hear you ask? Well, I haven't actually tried the actual dish here yet but what I have heard is that it is a Japanese adaption of a supposedly Italian dish. From what I have heard about it, Doria is a kind of cassaroley-gratin with chicken and cheese and lots of other yummy things, kind of like a crazy lasagna but with rice instead of pasta.
As this was a Cup Noodle the rice was substituted with instant noodles, my favorite!
Now if I am perfectly honest, the main reason that I chose this - apart from the fact that it looked curious- was that it was also cheese flavoured.
I actually often find myself choosing a dish purely based on the addition of cheese!

mmm look at all that smooshey stuff!

Sorry for the blurriness! 
This was what it looked like before adding the boiling water. Those big cubes were glorious lumps of cheese!!

The final product!
This Cup Noodle was really good. The sauce was thicker than usual and it had bits of meat and vegetables included. But the star of the show was the cheese. The cubes turned into melted cheese after being cooked and were pretty good!

I decided to continue with my interesting and unusual theme when choosing my drink so I went with this vegetable juice. It was really nice! If you looked inside the carton you could see that the liquid was a bright orange colour! The juice was actually sweet as it had fruit juice inside it too! I would definitely drink this again.



The restaurant front
In the evening a bunch of us headed over to an Okonomiyaki restaurant as they were having a special deal on one of the Okonomiyaki!

The Okonomiyaki on sale!
The sale meant that the Okonomiyaki was really cheap. If I remember correctly it was only around 400 yen (around £ 2.50)!



This time we didn't cook the Okonomiyaki ourselves, it was brought to us and put on the hotplate.



The Okonomiyaki here was really nice, and for the price we couldn't really go wrong.
The waitress seemed surprised when we ordered one each! They were quite big and I think she thought it would be too big for the girl's to finish but we didn't order any sides so it was just right for a dinner. 


After finishing our meal some of us headed home early. Amy and I stopped at a Takoyaki shop on the way back and had our first Takoyaki since we arrived in Japan!


The Okonomiyaki was quite big so we weren't exactly hungry but we both decided we were hankering for a dessert.

My Taiyaki! (Excuse the chipping nail varnish!)

Taiyaki is a fish shaped treat that you can find across Japan. The outside is a crispy, baked waffle-like batter shaped like a fish which has some kind of filling.
The most common (and more traditional taiyaki) is filled with azuki (sweet red bean paste). However nowadays they can be found in a variety of flavours. I think you may even be able to  find savory taiyaki in some places!

Not being the biggest fan of azuki - I don't dislike it! It's just not my favorite flavour - I opted for a sweet potato taiyaki.

It was nice and warm and the filling was sweet without being overly so. I hope I can try some other flavours in the future.

Well, that's all for now.
I hope this post wasn't too dull, but I promise the next post will be more interesting so hold on for that!

See you later!



No comments:

Post a Comment