Monday 25 November 2013

Day 24 - Cakes, Kaiten zushi and Karaoke!

Hey everyone!

I hope you are not too cold!
It is still pretty mild-weathered here in Tokyo, it's only just getting to be coat weather.

On the 5th of October I had a pretty naughty day food wise! So be prepared for lots of food snaps!


After our lessons had finished Amy, Kayan and I headed over to Anniversary, an almost unbelievably picturesque cake shop. We had previously spied the cake shop and vowed to go and try a cake as soon as possible!

Perhaps a bit early, but there were lots of cute Halloween decorations!

So much thought must have gone into the displays both inside and out!

Would you just look at this!!!!

Look at it!!!!!

This shop is just so cute it's almost painful!!!


As you can see, not only do they sell cakes, but they also make other yummy baked treats too!
They even sell Okuma san cakes! (Our university mascot!)
Would you just look at that little bear cake! 

The cakes were so adorable I could have just died! It would have been very hard to make a decision if it wasn't for the fact that I really wanted a Strawberry Shortcake!

On top of the fact that pretty much everything in that shop was drop-dead adorable they were pretty too! The cakes were mostly around 400 yen around £2.43. And before you go ahead and think it, no, the quality of the cakes do not suffer!

Amy's cake
We took the cakes back to the common room of my dorm and ate them while watching a Japanese drama. Yup, I know what you are thinking, we are livin' the dream!

I bought a tuna mayonnaise onigiri on the way back!
My cake, and what a cake it was!
Kayan and I both chose the Strawberry shortcake, while Amy opted for the very seasonal pumpkin cake! They were decorated so nicely, and I really liked that mine came with a happy little pumpkin decoration! It's the little things that make life fun!

I must say, I was wondering how a cake that was so cheap, whilst being so cute would taste but I was not disappointed! This was the nicest cake I had had in a while! It was sweet without being overly so, and the sharpness of the strawberries - on top and inside the cake - gave it a really nice balance. In fact, just writing about it now makes me want to run out and buy one!

There is no doubt about it, I will be visiting this cake shop again!

Now here is where the day starts to get naughty! Put your judging hats on, cuz this is about to get shameful!

~My choice of beverage~

Shortly after finishing our cakes, Amy and I headed out to go for coffee with another group of people. 
We went to a coffee shop chain called Choco Cro that was quite close to our dorms. 

I had a green tea latte to drink and here is were it starts to get embarrassing....


A Chocolate and Apple bun!

The green tea latte was nice, but not the best I have ever tried. The green tea flavour was a little too weak for me.
The bun was pretty good, unfortunately I think it was a seasonal option so I think it is no longer on the menu.

After having a drink and a chat Amy and I dashed off to a Daiso (100 yen store) to pick up some folders to bring some necessary organisation to our university work! 


We had to rush because we needed to meet another group of friends to go to Shibuya for... yes you guessed it! MORE food!!!!

On the way to the restaurant I spotted this... Going by the pictures I think it's best I don't know more about what's sold in that shop!

The restaurant we went to was a 回転寿司 kaitenzushi restaurant! (conveyor belt sushi) 


At a Kaiten zushi restaurant you usually have the following things at your table:
Matcha powder, hot water taps, pickles, soy sauce, wasabi and a seasoning.


You place your order on a screen above your table. There are menus on the wall to look at or you can just browse using the touch screen! Once you have chosen the sushi you want (usually a maximum of  4 plates at a time) you push the ordering button and then all you have to do is wait!

When your sushi is ready it will make its way on over to you via a little track in front of you. The dish of sushi is placed on a little train that rapidly makes its way down the track until it reaches your spot. It's quite fun to watch the sushi fly down to you seemingly by itself!
After you have taken the plate of the train you push a little button which sends the now empty train back into the kitchen. Pretty cool right?

Not only is this way of eating sushi super fun, it is also pretty cheap too! Most plates of sushi cost around 70p each!

Okay, are you ready for more pictures of food? 


This was the star of the night for me! Scallop sushi! The scallops were so creamy and mildly sweet! I had quite a few of these!

Look at that crispy tempura coating!


As usual, I couldn't turn down an opportunity to eat prawn tempura! These were good!

Prawn mayonnaise gunkan maki!
 Okay here is where you may start judging me again. I just had to try this sushi because it was just so weird!

HAMBURGER SUSHI!
I know, I know, you're probably thinking that this is a crime against nature. And to be honest, you are probably right. But, nobody needs to be right all the time! right?
Well, as weird as it was, it was pretty good. It was obviously not the best sushi there but it is certainly worth a try, - at least for the novelty! - so if you ever end up in a kaiten zushi restaurant definitely check to see if they sell any unusual sushi like this!

Standard tuna!

Salmon Nigiri!

Hotate (scallop) again!

and again!

Here is the aftermath!!
I had around 10 plates of sushi and a section of pineapple which all came to around 1000 yen which is just over £6! Try to find that value in London!

During the meal you occasionally get a chance to play a game of rock, paper, scissors for a chance to get some money off or win little gifts!


After finishing up at the restaurant we headed back to Takadanobaba, where we decided to go to Karaoke! Because, why not!
At this Karaoke place you could change your room to a special room for free! We just went for a normal room though.

Unlimited drinks were included in the price!



I couldn't resist the slushie machine so I went for a two tone slushie! God, how I love that frozen goodness!


Unfortunately the pictures I took of the Karaoke room didn't come out too well so you will have to make do with this lovely shot of my drink!

Well, that's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment