Saturday 16 November 2013

19th day - Shopping in Shinjuku and Cami's Birthday!


On the 30th of September it was Cami's birthday so Cami, Amy, Shereen, Kayan, Helen and I went off to Shinjuku to do some shopping!

Shinjuku at night was pretty atmospheric. Lots of big bright adverts and tall buildings. It really felt like Japan (funny that eh?)

We had a look around lots of shops, it was pretty fun and it was good to see what kind of clothes shops Japan has and be able to get a good idea of what the prices are like here!


 After tiring ourselves out we went back to Takadanobaba in search of food.


You could see the kitchen staff at work!


The restaurant we chose was close to the station. The restaurant was called ねぎし (negishi) and they mostly sell grilled beef meat sets. It was pretty nice inside. 


A good view of Takadanobaba from the restaurant

As usual tea and water was free

I ordered a chicken set. It came with chicken, rice, tail soup, pickles and Tororo (a slimy kind of food made from grated yam).


The chicken was really juicy and tender - so good!


This was the Tororo, it may have looked scary to some but it wasn't unpleasant! It wasn't something I could say I immediately fell in love with but I didn't dislike it either. I can imagine it is something that  grows on you. 


The tail soup was pretty tasty and it had some tail meat at the bottom!
After the meal we had to rush back to our dorms as Cami was late for some birthday plans that were going on in her dormitory!


I wasn't planning to but I ended up buying some clothes and a cute accessory for my phone.  I couldn't resist!

I bought clothes from a shop called Ingni. It is quite a reasonably priced Japanese clothes shop. They had a deal where you pick a two items from a range for a set price. It was around £40 for both he shirt and skirt together.

The skirt has shorts underneath. It seems to be quite common for Japanese skirts to have shorts attached to them, which is just as well as they are often quite short and it has been quite windy!


If you are coming from The West to Japan then prepare to look for larger sizes if you plan to buy clothes in Japan. In fact unless you are pretty thin already it will probably be difficult to find clothes that fit!

There are very few sizes in Japan, as opposed to having a large range of sizes clothes usually only come in small, medium and large. Often you can only find size M and some shops have one-size-only clothes!
Tops aren't so bad, but if you don't have slim hips then bottoms will be hard to get into. I know I had to do a fair bit of wriggling to get into the skirt I bought!!!
I will hopefully cover more on clothes once I know more!

See you for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment