Wednesday 16 October 2013

Convenience store baked goods



Hey everyone!

Just a short post tonight because I have a test tomorrow and I am still revising!

Today my classes were cancelled!!!

A big Typhoon was coming towards Tokyo yesterday and there were rumors that some classes might be cancelled due to the extreme weather! Thankfully we were given notice last night that periods 1+2 of Wednesdays lessons would be cancelled so I could plan for a lie-in!!!
Not only was this great because I have been so tired lately but it also meant that I missed a test that I was supposed to have this morning. Needless to say I was thanking that typhoon!!

In this post I want to tell you about convenience store baked goods!

Convenience stores in Japan are great, you can do so many things there from buying crisps to paying for your health insurance! They really are convenient!!

I want to cover convenience stores more fully in a later post but for now I want to talk about the yummy bread section.

In pretty much every convenience store in Japan there is a baked foods section which has both savory buns and sweet treats. They are usually around 100 yen each (64p) and are pretty good for a quick breakfast, lunch or snack. Although in Japan it is impolite to eat and walk so make sure you find somewhere to stand or sit first!!

In the Lawson chain of convenience stores they have a special promotion running on most of the products in this section at the moment.

秋のリラックマフェア
【実施期間】2013年9月3日(火)11月18日(月)

The promotion is by Lawson X Rilakkuma (Rilakkuma is a cute bear character). Lots of the buns have Rilakkuma stickers on the packet which you can save up on a loyalty leaflet. When you save up a certain number of stickers you can redeem them for some Rilakkuma brand products. 

I liked the idea of having a nice Rilakkuma mug to add to my collection of beverage vessels which currently only consists of a solitary 100 yen mug that I have at my dorm. Although I must add that it is a rather nice 100 yen mug. I would probably be buying quite a few baked foods anyway because they all look so yummy so it seemed like a good perk to drive me to hunt out Lawsons. 


 This was an egg mayonnaise and croquette roll. One thing I was surprised about here was that egg mayonnaise seems to be a pretty popular flavour in Japan! The flavour is slightly different from egg mayonnaise in England but it is so good!
It seemed like a weird flavour for a roll but it looked really interesting. It was actually really good, the roll was a bit drier than I had hoped but overall it was pretty good.


The pink sticker in the corner is the Rilakkuma sticker
This one was a chicken mayonnaise roll. Yes, I know, too much mayo but nothing's gonna stop me!


This one was not what I expected. The filling had an almost Pâté like quality to it. It was not as nice as I had hoped but it was still pretty good.
Anyway, I am off  to bed now so see you later!




2 comments:

  1. I hope you're going to blog about your classes at some point - I'm intrigued to know more about what you're studying, how it all works, what's similar to/different from studying in England (if anything), etc. Can you take photos in class? Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall! I am currently trying to catch up with my posts at the moment! But when I do I will definitely try to do a post on my classes. The process of class signups has been pretty long and we are just settling in now to our confirmed course choices. But I will try to cover it all in a post now that I know you are intrigued! As for the photos, I can always try! xxx

    ReplyDelete