Wednesday 25 September 2013

Second day - Harajuku, Kiddy Land and Condomania!

Harajuku's Takeshita street

On the 13th - my second day in Japan - a group of friends and I wanted to go exploring. So we decided to head off for Harajuku. I have wanted to go to Harajuku for years so I was really excited to see it with my own eyes.

We got off at Shinjuku station as we thought Harajuku was nearby and that way we could check out Shinjuku too. However we were told it would be quite a walk so we had to get back on the metro and get off at Harajuku station.


We were a bit peckish so we decided to try Harajuku's famous crepes! They had so many different flavours both savory and sweet. Some crepes even had cakes or puddings inside them! A dessert inside a dessert!
Vanilla ice-cream, strawberries, cream and chocolate crepe!
This was the crepe I decided on. It was so delicious, in fact as I type this I have a hankering for another one! Although I can't imagine it would be a good idea to eat these very often!


There were so many different crepe shops, this was not the one we ordered from but it had some amazing flavours, including crepes with not only cream and fruit but also cheesecake slices or cakes inside!

The Tamagotchi shop!
We passed the Tamagotchi shop which looked so cute, unfortunately I didn't get to go inside so I hope that next time I will be able to have a look!

After having a look around in some of the Harajuku shops in Takeshita street we decided to look around a bit in the surrounding area. We still did not have Japanese phones yet so we inquired in a Softbank shop about getting phones. They told us which documents we would need to get a phone with them.

Condomania condom shop!
I had heard about the Condomania shop before and wanted to have a look so when we spotted it I knew I wanted to have a peek inside.

Birthday condom set - note the message on the packet!
"Too bad it only comes once a year!"

It may have been a small shop but there were certainly many different condoms crammed into it! Including Rilakkuma (a cute bear character) condoms!! There were lots of gag condoms as well! I was quite surprised about how many kinds there were! In the shop they also had a few other things such as phone cases.


Making sticks of rock!
We saw this sweet shop and it looked really nice so we had a look inside. the shop sold mostly sticks of rock and lollipops. There were free Halloween rock samples and we could see them making the sweets. I had never seen how sticks of rock were made before so it was really interesting, I find it amazing how they can get a picture or writing in the center. The two men at the end stretched the big blob of candy and the man at the front of the photo cut them and rolled them straight. After that he cut them down into little pieces ready to be packaged. He was really quick at the chopping! He gave us some to try, it was a really nice flavour and was still warm!

Tokyu Plaza entrance
We also had a look inside Tokyu Plaza, the mirror entrance was pretty cool.


Cute Disney luggage set
There was this travel case shop inside Tokyu Plaza which had really adorable luggage sets. I unfortunately set my eyes on the set above ~ it was sooo expensive!! Maybe if I can get a part time job I will be able to buy them before I go back! In my dreams!!!



We also saw a Barbie store that sold various Barbie branded products. How odd!

Kiddy Land!

Inside Kiddy Land
We all wanted to have a look at Kiddy Land so we headed there. Kiddy land is a kind of toy shop which sells products with lots of different characters. It doesn't only sell toys but also house and kitchen ware, stationary and other practical items with a cute twist so you can keep your house decorated with all your favorite characters!

There were so many things I wanted to buy! But I restrained myself!!
We were in the shop for so long when we left I forgot I hadn't paid for the products I was holding! I had only taken one foot out of the door when I realised and ran back to pay! Luckily I realised before we had properly left!!!

After Kiddy Land we went back to Harajuku where we bought a few things.


It was getting late but we had a look in Liz Lisa a really cute but not so cheap clothes shop.

After some more looking around in Harajuku it was getting late so we decided to take purikura photos! My first Purikura photos in Japan! There were lots of machines with different themes. It was really fun and much cheaper than taking them in London! You can also get multiple sheets for the same price if there are more people in your group! The machines in Japan can make you look very odd! They can enlarge your eyes which makes you look like an alien and in the full length shots it tries to make you look taller and skinnier which occasionally leads to some odd results!

Before we left we went to a Daiso (a kind of 100 yen store) to pick up a few essentials as we hadn't been shopping yet - it being our second day!


When we got back to Waseda it was pretty late and we were all hungry so after we dropped our stuff in our rooms some of us went back out to buy some bentos which we ate back in my dorm common room. While we were in the common room a kind boy offered us one of his grapes each fruit is very expensive here! At that point I had a revelation as to why the Japanese grape flavoured products taste the way they do! The grapes here are huge and taste completely different to how they do back at home!

My shopping haul! 
The result of the second day! I bought an organiser and polaroid film from Kiddy Land. The polaroid film was so much cheaper than back at home! I bought bathroom products, kitchen ware and some food at the Daiso. I also picked up an onigiri and sushi roll at a convenience store, and some treatment for mosquito bites at a shop in Harajuku mosquitoes love me!! I also bought some wedge heels in Harajuku for only 1000 yen - around £6.30!!!!!!

Overall it was a really busy day but we did so much! I spent a bit but luckily a lot was at Daiso so for what I bought it was really cheap!!! We got to see so many things and I was so glad I got to try the crepes in Harajuku, it was so good! I would recommend anyone going to Harajuku to try the crepes.

I had a really good time on only my second day! I hope its all up from here!

Hope you all enjoyed this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment