Thursday 26 September 2013

3rd day - orientation and Shibuya at night

Hey everyone!

On my 3rd day (14th) I had orientation at Waseda university. It lasted for aaaages! They told us about signing up for courses, introduced us to some student groups, helped us fill out some important forms and lots more.

Lunch from Waseda
We didn't get to eat until quite late and I was soooo hungry as I didn't eat much for breakfast. But the lunch they gave us was really good! It included juice, ham, cucumber and egg sandwiches, umaibo (a type of savory corn snack), some sweets and a banana. It was good to have some fruit as they are expensive in Tokyo. Inside the sweets pack there was also a card saying "welcome to Waseda University" which was nice!
The sandwiches were so tasty I wanted to take one of the leftover boxes but it felt too cheeky so I practiced some self-restraint! However I was very thirsty so I did ask for another juice carton!

Later in the evening I joined Amy and group of people to go to Shibuya for sushi.




As all the Japanese guides say, Shibuya was really crowded. The buildings towered over us with bright lights and people jostled around. There were lots of noises and sights to see, it was a lot to take in but it was pretty amazing.  

Unfortunately there was not enough room in the sushi restaurant we planned to go to as our group was rather large so we all split up in search of food and arranged to meet at a later time. 

My meal
Amy's meal
Amy, Zoe and I went with another girl to CoCo Ichibanya - a curry house - for dinner. This restaurant had been recommended to us by our friend Lucy. The price was reasonable for a large dish and you could customise the dish by choosing the amount of rice, level of spice and adding extras. 

I chose a special dish of Cheese meatloaf katsu curry! A bit naughty but I couldn't resist. Amy went for a slightly more sensible vegetable curry. It tasted really good, I would definitely like to go again.

After the meal we met up with the group and then split up again to go for drinks or clubbing. Amy and I went to a pub with a few other girls.


Amy's drink

My drink
Amy had a frozen fruit beer cocktail, I have never heard of such a thing but it certainly looked interesting. Amy let me have a sip and it was pretty nice but I am not a massive fan of so I had momoshu a type liqueur made from peaches. I had had the more common umeshu (plum liqueur) before and really liked it so I thought I would try a different type. I wasn't disappointed, it was delicious! 

After one round of drinks we all decided to go home as we were tired out from the Orientation.

Thanks for reading my post!



2 comments:

  1. Just caught up with your last three posts, it's great to get a sense of what it's like where you are, I know so little about Japan that it's all very interesting to me. Those crepes sound fantastic, bet you'll be going back there from time to time. And the shoes were a real bargain, well done. You're taking some great photos, keep it up! Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are reading my blog! It makes me so happy to hear that you are finding it interesting! Yes the crepe was so good I already want another! I think Harajuku is a good place to find some more reasonably priced clothes, I was amazed to find shoes for that price! I will do my best! :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete